This idea might be a wee bit ambitious, because how often do blogathons focus on a single film? Pretty much never. Then again, it’s not often that an iconic film turns eighty, either.
It’s said that more people have seen The Wizard of Oz than any other movie. Baum’s novel has been translated into forty languages, and no doubt the film has been, too. It introduced the world to the literal Song of the Century, “Over the Rainbow” and cemented Judy Garland’s place in film history.
As such, the movie has been examined from all angles. Books, documentaries, tributes, festivals…there’s plenty of ground to cover. Ergo, here are some suggested topics for this Oz-centric blogathon:
- Costume design
- Set design
- Special effects
- On-set hijinks
- The actors
- The directors
- The scripts (changes, writers, drafts, etc.)
- L. Frank Baum
- Oz lore
- Any of the many Oz books out there can be reviewed (Baum novels or books about the film)
- Favorite moments
- Deleted scenes
- Oz‘s legacy
- Previous versions, later versions, or sequels
- Stage productions (pre- or post-1939)
Here’s a little twist: Just so this isn’t one long puff-fest, those who didn’t like the film are welcome to join too, provided they keep things diplomatic and the language G-rated.
Now for the rules:
- The blogathon will take place on August 23-25. Entries can be sent to me on or around those days, and preferably no more than three of them. Podcasts and guest posts are welcome, too.
- Posts can cover the above suggested topics, or any other ones concerning the film and its surrounding history. New material only, please, and again, if you didn’t like the film, try to be diplomatic about it. Also, try to avoid any Oz-related conspiracy theories, unless you plan on debunking them (The Pink Floyd thing doesn’t count as a conspiracy theory).
- Triplicates are allowed. No limit on personal reminisces and commentary, though.
- Entries can be sent to me via the comment section, Twitter or Instagram (both at @TakingUpRoom), e-mail (email@example.com), or to my Contact page.
- Grab a banner and advertise the blogathon!
Taking Up Room: The Ruby Slippers
Poppity Talks Classic Film: Frank Morgan
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies: Phyl’s personal Oz collection
The Demented Fairy: Costuming An Oz Play
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: Judy and The Wizard of Oz
The Midnite Drive-In: Personal memories from childhood
Realweegiemidget Reviews: Fame: “Not In Kansas Anymore.” (Season 2, Episode 19)
Wolffian Classic Movies Digest: Reminisces and the timelessness of Oz
Maddy Loves Her Classic Films: An Oz review
18 Cinema Lane: Return To Oz (1985) and the Land of Oz theme park
Caftan Woman: Ken Darby
Revealed In Time: Return To Oz (1985)
Love Letters To Old Hollywood: Personal tribute to the 1939 film
Movies Meet Their Match: A comparison of the 1939 film to Baum’s original book
Crítica Retrô: “Over the Rainbow” (song)
The Stop Button: Return To Oz (1985)
The Flapper Dame: The Scarecrow
Wide Screen World: The Wiz (1978)
MovieMovie BlogBlog II: The Optimistic Voices
Up On the Shelf: Covers of Oz songs
A Shroud of Thoughts: Personal reminisces and a friend’s Oz experience
Sean Munger: Personal reminisces