Who’s up for a trip to Broadway? It’s hard to believe that this is our fourth jaunt to the Great White Way, but here we are.
In the past this blogathon has always focused on four main categories:
- Movies made from Broadway shows,
- Movies about Broadway,
- Actors, writers, composers, etc. who have worked in both Broadway and Hollywood,
- Broadway shows based on movies.
This year, however, we’re going to change things up a bit. I always try to hold this blogathon around the time of the Tony Awards, which are usually given out at the beginning of June, but COVID put a stop to all of that. In fact, there won’t be another awards ceremony until Broadway opens back up again. This is understandable, seeing as it’s kinda hard to have an awards show when there’s nothing happening in the industry.
Ergo, I thought it might be fun to make our 2021 blogathon all about Tony Award winners. Just winners, though, because we have to narrow the field somehow.
Here are the (slightly) revised categories:
- Movies made from Tony-winning plays or musicals,
- Movies or TV featuring Tony-winning actors, writers, composers, etc.,
- Movies that were adapted into Tony-winning stage shows.
And now for…
- The blogathon will start on June 4th and run through June 6th. Entries may be sent to me on or around those days, either through the comment section, my Contact page, or my Twitter account (@TakingUpRoom). New material only, please, and participants are limited to three posts.
- Entries must fall into one or more of the three categories listed above: Movies made from Tony winning plays or musicals, movies featuring Tony-winning actors, writers, composers, and so on, and movies adapted into Tony-winning stage shows. The awards can be in any category. As long as the show, performer, etc. has a Tony award attached to them somewhere, it works.
- Since the topic is still a big one, duplicates are verboten (Get some ideas for topics here and search Tony winners here.). However, approaching the same topic from more than one angle is all right, such as multiple people reviewing different movies starring the same Tony winner, or reviewing a movie vs. including it in a list.
- If you’d like to participate, please leave your name and your site URL and I’ll add you to the roster.
- Podcasters can enter as well. Just send a link to your podcast episode and I’ll include it.
- Grab a banner and advertise the blogathon!
Taking Up Room: Doubt (2008), Robert Sean Leonard in Swing Kids (1993), Michael Kidd in The Band Wagon (1953)
Tam May, Author: Death of A Salesman (1949)
Realweegiemidget Reviews: Bad Times At El Royale (2018)
Dubsism: The Sound of Music (1965)
Silver Screenings: Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)
Critítica Retrô: Oliver! (1968)
Thoughts All Sorts: The Crucible (1996)
18 Cinema Lane: The King and I (1956)
The Flapper Dame: A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
MovieRob: The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975), The Band’s Visit (2007), Oslo (2021)
Filmland Follies: Kiss Me, Kate (1953)
Stars and Letters: Coco (1969)
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: The Desperate Hours (1955)